LBJ Grasslands Training Hike

Two weeks from today I will begin the long journey from Sunset, Tx to Bowness-on-Solway, Cumbria, UK.

I've wanted to get to LBJ Grasslands for a training hike and yesterday was the day. I've only worn my new hiking boots 3 times and the third time was when I fell and fractured my hand, so not a pleasant memory as I pulled them on. I also needed to get an idea of what my hand would do after several miles of gripping a hiking pole. Great news! No issues with the boots or the hand. 

As a matter of fact, I can almost wrap my little finger all the way around the handle. 

I was already excited about the upcoming hikes, but getting out into the grasslands brought it home that I'll be doing this in England in two weeks. Now I'm super excited!

It wouldn't be a hike if I didn't take photos so here you go! Unfortunately, we got a later start than intended due to me directing us to the wrong trailhead. oops!

driving to the "wrong" trail
the fields were teeming with wildflowers
the picture doesn't really show how steep this little hill is

coneflower
partridge pea
pinkladies
evening primrose
even the thistle is beautiful
pyrrhopappus, desert chicory or Texas false dandelion
entire leaf indian paintbrush
nightshade
and of course
mushrooms
There's a turnip aphid on this plant.
sumac
daisy fleabane
ripe raspberries
orange flags marking the trail
If you've never walked in the grasslands, you are missing out. I would walk here every day if I lived closer.




there was much tall grass that stuck to our pants like burrs
and man's contribution

cottontail - just to the right of the trail and above center of photo

finally managed to get a photo of a butterfly - there were so many of all colors and sizes but they just wanted to flutter along with us and not land for a photo
forgot to take a photo at the start of the hike so took one at the end when we were all hot and sweaty

Thank you Kim for walking with me! I am so blessed!

This was our route, part of the Orange Trail

5.9 miles

315' elevation gain

2 hours 13 minutes

15,723 steps

Comments

  1. I’m so very thankful to hear you didn’t have any issues with your hand using the poles. It’s such a relief to know it’s not going to be a hindrance on the upcoming journey. I can definitely see why you would walk that trail daily if it was close enough. As long as you start early enough to be finished before the heat hits 🥵 What a nightmare. Two weeks?!?!? How exciting. I will see you in 23 days 😁😁 I can’t wait to follow along as you walk Hadrians Wall. Love, J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news on both the hand and the boots! What a beautiful array of wildflowers. Looking forward to following along on your big adventure. Love and prayers, Cathie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment