Cotswolds - Day 5 - Old Sodbury

Wotton-Under-Edge to Old Sodbury
~1352' steep
Sunrise this morning at 4:15. 
This old building is outside our window. 
A breakfast of porridge and omelette
And I’m off for another solo day. I know my eyes look terrible but my allergies have been bonkers the last three days. I found out last night that I’ve been walking through fields of rapeseed, my worst allergen.  

St Mary the Virgin Church
St Mary’s was consecrated in 1283 by Bishop of Worcester, Godfrey Giffard. It is believed that much of the church as it is today was completed in 1325. 



I’ve never seen a play area inside the sanctuary. Wonder how that is working out for them. 


Alms houses

I was right along here, working my way out of town to the trail while having a little time with the Lord. I guess I was in my own little world asking him to provide safety, strength and endurance, guidance for the walk, when all of a sudden I heard, “you need to go right”. I turned around and there was a small older man about 20 steps or so behind me. He said, “Cotswold Way?”  I said yes. He said you need to go right. I immediately thanked the Lord for answering my prayer for guidance. It’s quite an experience having the Lord speak audibly to you in a British voice and one I will never forget. 
Path through the woods

Alongside a babbling stream
Walked along a magnificent garden with gorgeous flowers, fruit and veggies. 

And steps up up up 



From Wotton, the route leads along a lovely stream to Coombe, then steeply up Blackquarries Hill for commanding views across the surrounding area. 
Oh no! More muddy trails. 


Stinking Willie 🤣



Made it to the top of the first hill today. 

When I saw this path, or lack of path, knowing how bad my allergies have been, I was not thrilled. 

It just gets worse
And even worse, it needs someone with a machete going through there. 
And it finally opens up. 
I was very thankful for the areas of woods today because the sun was really hammering down in the open spaces. 



I

 
An odd place for a tire swing.





This is the first time I’ve seen this color sign. Mostly it’s been yellow on white. There’s also blue on white and purple on white and now purple on lt yellow. 

Just loved all the roses climbing on this house. 

Around Worley Hill and through the woods the way descends via a sunken lane to the edge of Wortley. 

Bread wheat


From here the path meanders through quiet countryside, past the imposing Somerset Monument, built in 1846. 
Lord Robert Edward Somerset was a British soldier who fought during the Peninsular War and the War of the Seventh Coalition. From 1830 sat for Gloucestershire and from 1834 to 1837 was MP for Cirencester.





This is where I took a break before tackling that last fell. 

Millennium Folly
The tower was built in 2000, just below the Iron Age hillfort of Horton Camp, "as a millennium project to provide nesting places for swallows and barn owls"
Wild Angelica
I’m headed over that hill
Interesting gate
This is St Adeline’s church. I took the photo because we had an Aunt Adeline. 

There were four very large horses guarding this kissing gate. 

Look at the size of this poppy
 I arrived at the pub at about 1:30, six hours after leaving this morning. Jo Anne was waiting for me at St John the Baptist Church. 

She sat on this bench until she found several red ticks crawling around. 

I texted her to meet me at the pub and we would eat. 
I had the salmon filet. Scrumptious!
Jo Anne had rump steak. It wasn’t so scrumptious. 

If the walk lacks drama, it makes up for it in nomenclature. Who could resist the appeal of a dip that glories in the name of Nanny Farmer's Bottom. 


View from the room
Sodbury House Hotel is a 1700's farmstead with rustic charm. I’m always a bit concerned when a place is labeled rustic. That usually means it needs an update, and that’s true of this place. It’s not clean, has peeling wallpaper, and the neighbors sewer backed up into our bathtub. 🤢

To answer your question about the names of the woods: yes, many of them have signs, but the ones that don’t are shown on my Macs app. 

Stats
Steps - 32,773
Miles - 14.2
Elev gain - 1352’ or 47 floors

The secret of joy is Christ in me - not me in a different set of circumstances. Elizabeth Elliot, a Christian missionary in Ecuador. Her husband, Jim Elliot was killed while attempting to make missionary contact with the Auca people. She later spent two years as a missionary to the tribe members who killed her husband.

Comments

  1. Love the gate. So many adventures await!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear your allergies are awful. I love seeing the horses at all the gates. “Stinking Willie” that’s amazing, does it stink?
    Take care and as always thanks for journey. Love you
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment