Cotswolds - Day 6 - Cold Ashton

Old Sodbury to Cold Ashton

I'm combining these two days for ~1040' total elevation gain. 

We ate the typical breakfast of egg, mushrooms and bacon. They did offer gluten free toast and non-dairy “butter” which was a plus. 
Waving goodbye to Jo Anne as I take off on the walk today. 

The host very graciously carried our bags up and down the stairs for us. In case you’re wondering what that’s like, 
this is me a couple of days ago, with my 45 lb suitcase on my back going down the stairs to leave it at the bag drop area before taking off on my hike. We’re so blessed every time we don’t have to do that. 
A very short walk through trees this morning. 
Apparently, I walked across Dodington Park, the vast country seat of businessman James Dyson, of Dyson vacuum cleaner fame and never realized it because the house is so hidden.
Field of sheep 
Today is another mostly rural day, crossing fields and farmland 
A few little streams 
Oh my. Another overgrown path. I could hardly see this morning with my red, swollen, watery eyes. It was quite miserable. The host at the BnB tried to get me to skip the walk today and tomorrow and just go straight into Bath. She said there’s nothing really to see. Jo Anne said oh she’s going to finish the walk. As I was walking through fields of green, and sheep, and wildflower/weeds, and past babbling brooks, I thought of the song, What a Wonderful World. 

“I see trees of green
Red roses too
I see them bloom 
For me and you
And I think to myself 
What a wonderful world
I see skies of blue 
And clouds of white
The bright blessed day
The dark sacred night
And I think to myself 
What a wonderful world”
 
What a wonderful world He has created for us and how much more spectacular the new earth will be. 
V style stile 


This stile was a bit difficult for me to get my short legs over but I made it. 
Cross the road and over another stile. 
More overgrown trail 
Bridge over the highway. It was out of the way but necessary.

Started off way on the other side of this wheat field 
Passed field after field of wheat. 
There's a diversion in place here to avoid the Beacon Lane Plantation (frequented by nudists) and the new route is being made permanent. Signs primly tell you this diversion is due to ongoing safety concerns but if you're not fazed by such sights, you can still follow the original route, though it's advised to keep your clothes on if only to protect against the nettles. I took the diversion. 
This field was waist high. 

If I were traveling by road, it’s only 5 miles between Old Sodbury and Pennsylvania (where we’re staying tonight), but it’s over 10 by trail. 
Crossed another very busy road. I waited well over 5 minutes for a break in traffic. They are driving so fast through here. 

I walked through very few woods today but I appreciated the shade they provided. There was a strong headwind, but it was cool, so I didn’t mind. 

As the Cotswold Way wends through the tiny village of Dyrham, it passes the ornamental gates of Dyrham Park, affording a splendid vista up the long drive to the house and church. Familiar to many film buffs as the set location for Remains of the Day, the Baroque-style house, nestling at the bottom of a steep valley, was built at the end of the 17th century.

There has been a history of occupation at Dyrham Park since ancient times, and the house, with attached orangery and stable block, we see today is centered around William Blathwayt in the late 17th century.

It is nestled in a 270-acre ancient parkland filled with magnificent trees and breathtaking views reaching right over to Wales.
After climbing through Dyrham Woods, I continue onward passing through the villages of Tomarton and Tolldown to Pennsylvania, our lodging spot for tonight.

The end of the trail today is the village of Cold Ashton. This little hamlet is built around a quaint 16th century church.

However, reading my itinerary tells me we won't actually be staying in Cold Ashton but approximately 1 1/2 miles prior to reaching Cold Ashton, making the combined walks only about 7 1/2 miles today and adding 1 1/2 miles to the final day's walk tomorrow. Lodging is in a 17th century country house right next to the petrol station. 😒 

I reached the Inn a little before noon but knocked on the door anyway because I was in desperate need of a toilet. The innkeeper seemed in a daze and didn’t understand that I was staying here tonight but it finally clicked and she said come on, I’ll take you to your room, its ready so do what you want. 

Our room is up the tiniest little staircase with a handrail only on a portion of it.

View from our room tonight is not at all scenic. 
Our en-suite is located down three steps and then up three with NO handrail. I was wondering how I would maneuver this in the middle of the night. 

After unloading part of my pack and leaving my hiking poles, I walked the additional 1 1/2 miles (all uphill) into Cold Ashton to get something to eat. Much to my dismay, there is no place to eat in Cold Ashton, so I trudged back down to the petrol station right next to the inn. I bought a few snacks, knowing this would be my meal for the day. 

I sat down in the lounge area to eat since our room has no place to sit. Just as I took a bite, the host came in and immediately started chastising me for bringing food into her establishment. She became very angry and hostile. I kept apologizing but she wasn’t having it. She apparently serves an evening meal to those who’ve ordered one 48 hours in advance and was offended that we didn’t order a meal but brought in food. I’ve been sick about it and will try to speak to her again when she’s had some time.

She’s just come in so I apologized again. I don’t know what else I can do, so will just leave it in the Lord’s hands and try to let it go. 😢

On a happier note, Jo Anne spent the day in Chipping Sodbury where they were having their Saturday market. Here are some photos she took. 

War memorial inscribed:
In grateful memory of the gallant soldiers of this town who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919 and world war 1939-1945, we will remember them by day and in the night / season we will not forget.
Market Square Clock Tower

Stats
Steps - 25,554
Miles - 11
Elev gain - 1040’ or 38 floors

I want God's view of life and His guidance in my relationships to spill over into every crevice of my day. It is only in the outpouring of His love that we have the power to love each other. 

“Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.”
Psalm 143:8 (ESV)

Comments

  1. Carol that’s so sad the lady reacted that way. Sorry to hear your allergies are still causing you trouble.
    Take care
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that my sweet sister bought me some eye drops today. They are really helping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fully believe it is a part of our new nature to want to live in harmony with all and it is so disheartening when we can’t. You have done all you can and are rightfully leaving it in the Lord’s hands. I’m sorry your didn’t go quite as planned, but if we never had not so perfect days, we wouldn’t know how to appreciate the amazing days. I hope these verses in Romans help:
    Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Rom.12:16-18

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nGKqH26xlg Louis Armstrong with a little prologue - one of my favorites, though with hearing aids, doesn't sound as good any more. Enjoy seeing all the amazing old churches/cathedrals.

    BC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment